Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Peg People Sets for Operation Christmas Child



This project is super fun and it turns out really cute.

1. Purchase wooden peg people or peg dolls that are unfinished.  These can be found in the craft wood section of many craft stores, but I prefer to purchase mine online where I can get more dolls for the money.  This is a good set to get: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQDTTCE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2.  You will also need acrylic paints.  These can be artist acrylics, craft paints or paint markers.  I use all 3.  I purchased several different skin tones in craft paint, but I prefer to just use my artist acrylics for any other colors and mix them myself.  This is totally up to you.  For details, you can't beat Posca extra-fine paint markers.  These things are amazing.
 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VB4T86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good detail brushes will also be helpful.  Model painting brushes seem to work pretty well for me.

3. Let's start painting!   I generally paint a set of 3 all at once.  This way, by the time you finish painting on the third doll, the first one is usually dry enough to work on again.  Do not put your paint on in thick layers, even if it appears see-through.  It works much better to do multiple thin layers, and it dries really fast.
You will want to work from the skin - out.

Paint the head and shoulders your chosen skin color first.  Some people leave the skin as raw wood on peg dolls, which is really cute, but I have found that the paint markers sometimes bleed on the raw wood.  I like to do my faces with paint markers, so I'd rather work on a pre-painted face.

4. Simple large areas of color for the clothing.  I'm still using paint and brushes at this point.  You can draw on details with pencil if it helps you, but I would still do this step first.
 
You can get the basic shape of the hair in at this point too.


5. Let's bust out some paint pens!  At this point I start adding in details one layer at a time.  Be careful to let things dry before you add the next layer...  Of course, you can also do the details with paint and brush if you prefer.











6.  The box.  I have a surplus of old Altoid tins at my disposal, so I'm using these.  (FYI, however, the large dad peg person is a bit too wide for an Altoid tin to fully latch.  It mostly closes.  I wrap the box in a rubber band.)  Any small box could work here, just make sure it's clean and dry.
 
I also have a bin full of collage goodies: scrapbook paper, magazines, calendars, stickers, etc.
Using the bottom of the box as a stencil I simply cut a neat paper for the floor and back of my Altoid tin.

If you have a thicker paper, tacky glue will work fine to adhere your papers to the tin.  Use a thin even layer.  If you have a thinner paper, like a magazine, rubber cement would be a better choice.  Thinner papers will wrinkle with the tacky glue (or any water-based glue).

Lastly, add some stickers if you'd like.

7.  I recommend you seal your peg dolls with a clear coat.  I use a clear spray paint.  Let it dry for the recommended amount of time before you package up your set.

8. When the set is done, I place the dolls in the box, wrap it up with a rubber band, and place a card on the top (under the rubber band).  This is the card I designed.



Have Fun!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the very informative tutorial. My artistic daughter and I are going to make these together. Thank you for sharing your talents with all of us!! Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could just buy them from you. Or at least the painted peg people. I love the idea that you have come up with. I just don't get to all of my crafts that I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I can identify with that. I want to do ALL THE THINGS! :D I do occasionally make a set to sell, but they start at $5 per doll when I do, and go up depending on the detail. So a set of 3 I would sell for approx. $15 or more. Not necessarily economical if you we're looking to purchase them for OCC.

      Delete